The traditional Sussex pronunciation of the name has a full vowel in each syllable: The town lies on the coast near Seaford Head, roughly equidistant between the mouths of the River Ouse and the Cuckmere.The Ouse valley was a wide tidal estuary with its mouth nearly closed by a shingle bar, but the tidal mudflats and salt marshes have been "inned" (protected from the tidal river by dykes) to form grassy freshwater marshes (grazing marsh).
Picture credits: Crocodile by Christopher Levy at young mangroves used to illustrate swampy, delta-like environment by Erik Gauger at river delta from iguanodon from
Lying east of Newhaven and Brighton and west of Eastbourne, it is the largest town in Lewes district, with a population of about 27,000.
Discovering Fossils provides a free resource to inform you about this fascinating subject and does not accept any liability for decisions made using this information.
Smith; British Geological Survey, solid geology map; Geology and Sedimentology of the Wealden AONBs, C. Safety notice: Fossil hunting can at times pose a risk to personal safety, in particular within environments close to the coast, cliffs or in quarries and when using the tools and equipment illustrated.
The beach has been topped up several times since then, giving the town a broad beach of sand and shingle.
William Levett of Seaford owned the Bunces and Stonehouse manors in Warbleton, probably inheriting them from his father John Levett, who died in 1607.
Seaford's fortunes revived in the 19th century with the arrival of the railway connecting the town to Lewes and London.
It became a small seaside resort town, and more recently a dormitory town for the nearby larger settlements of Eastbourne and Brighton, as well as for London.
Levett sold the estates in 1628 and died in 1635, his will being filed in Hastings.
The Levett family intermarried with other Sussex families, including the Gildredges, the Eversfields, the Popes, the Ashburnhams, the Adams, and the Chaloners.
To the north the town faces the chalk downland of the South Downs, and along the coast to the east are the Seven Sisters chalk cliffs, and Beachy Head.