(*inset: the Roxy Dome Crank Handle that held the original dome light now disused as the dome light was permanently fixed to the ceiling in 1942*) the spires that once hung down from the impressive chandelier assembly was taken away and The light cut to half its size was re erected to the centre dome and still remains intact along with he other fixed houselights.
The theatre was the first in a proposed chain of suburban theatres managed by Roxy Theatres Ltd.
It opened on 6 February 1930 with "a packed audience and an interested crowd of several thousands in the street opposite the brilliantly-illuminated entrance".
The Roxy Theatre in Parramatta is a striking example of the "Picture Palaces" that were built between the wars.
Both films and cinemas in this period were deliberately escapist and were strongly influenced by the United States.
Originally it had 1,923 seats and though it was opened with the Talkies it had a Christie theatre organ which was reputedly one of the largest and finest in the state.
The cinema remained unaltered until the 1970s when Hoyts added three more cinemas.In 1988 the forecourt was refurbished with new shops installed in the arcaded wings.The Roxy Theatre is listed on Parramatta's Local Environmental Plan, the National Trust Register and the Register of the National Estate.The decoration and fittings of these lavish cinemas provided an opulence and grandeur that was affordable for everyone.The Spanish Mission style theatre is richly decorated and retains much of the original layout including stuccoed walls, arches, false balconies, a "Spanish" style ceiling of panelled and painted timber and a central dome in the main auditorium.At our speed dating events, everybody is welcome, no matter what nationality or religion you are.